Spending too much time in your car? Doctors recommended you do at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. But finding the time can be hard.
Cycleways make it easier to ride a bike and enjoy a healthier lifestyle. Bike riding is a low impact cardio exercise that many people are already fitting into their daily lives. It boosts your fitness, burns calories and builds muscle.
People who ride daily live significantly longer than those who don’t, which is good news for bike riders and for our community. More people riding bikes will mean less demand on our hospitals and doctors.
Health benefits – the facts:
- A regular bike rider can be expected to be as fit as a person ten years younger.
- Car pollution costs Sydney $1.5 – $3.8 billion a year in health costs.
- With all other factors being equal the simple act of riding to work lowers the risk of early death by 40 per cent.
- Riding a bike is a zero-emission transport option.
- An Inner Sydney Regional Bike Network will create:
- A 66 per cent increase in people riding bikes by 2016 alone.
- Congestion savings of $97.8 million (from increased bike use).
- More seats available on public transport.