Beach Route Overview
The Beach route links Newtown towards Bondi Junction via Redfern and Paddington. Riders will in future enjoy a mostly car-free ride as they commute along separated cycleways and shared paths, with some mixed traffic and contra flow lanes.
- Distance: Approximately 5 kilometres.
- Key Attractions: Shops, bars and cafes in Newtown, Paddington and Bondi Junction, Moore Park and Centennial Park.
- Connects Precincts: Newtown, Surry Hills, Paddington, Redfern and Green Square.
Currently under construction or investigation
- Wilson Street: Options for intersection with Erskineville Road are being investigated with the NSW Government.
- Bourke Street – Telopea to Thurlow Streets: Separated cycleway is now open.
No upgrade required or planned
- Wilson Street – Erskineville Road to Burren Street: existing contra flow lane and mixed traffic.
- Little Eveleigh Street – Burren to Ivy Streets: existing contra-flow lane and mixed traffic.
- Redfern Street: existing mixed traffic between Gibbons & Chalmers Streets.
- Redfern Street: existing shared path between Chalmers and Elizabeth Streets.
- Alternative routes to Redfern Street: via existing shared zones on Wells Street/Redfern Lane and Turner Street.
- South Dowling Street: existing shared path between Thurlow and Charles Streets.
- Charles Street: shared path to Moore Park is open.
- Moore Park: along South Dowling Street (from opposite Charles Street to Moore Park Road & Anzac Parade intersection) shared path is open.