Prince Alfred Park
The Prince Alfred Park, near Central train station, first stage upgrade in more than 50 years, was completed in May 2011. A new path shared by pedestrians and bike riders connecting Cleveland and Elizabeth Streets is now open and provides a safe and pleasant ride between the city and Redfern. The path features on-the-ground shared path lines and symbols recently trialled in Redfern. These blue line-markings more clearly designate the path as a shared area and reinforce pedestrian priority over bike riders. Please be a patient and polite bike rider– always give way to pedestrians, ring your bell early and give a wave, smile or thank you.
The first stage of upgrades includes a range of exciting improvements, such as:
- improvements to paths to make them accessible to all users (pedestrians, bikes, prams and wheelchairs)
- custom designed furniture and energy efficient lights
- a designated exercise area
- new basketball courts
- new international-standard tennis courts allowing the courts to host professional competitions and exhibition matches
- a new children’s playground featuring beautiful, hand-crafted tiles
Work continues on other improvements in the park including a new temperature-controlled 50m pool is currently being installed with a high-tech filtration system. The pool complex is being enhanced with a new concourse, shaded areas, landscaped sunbathing areas and a ‘splash deck’ play area for toddlers. The pool complex will have a café, new lighting and change rooms and is expected to re-open to swimmers mid-2012.