Bourke Road, Alexandria
The Bourke Road, Alexandria separated cycleway runs from Wyndam Street to Gardeners Road and opened in March 2010. This section is part of an important link for the overall Bourke route, an approx 7 km north – south cycling corridor from Gardeners Road, Mascot to Cowper Wharf Road, Woolloomooloo. The Bowden and Mandible Streets cycleways, connecting with Bourke Road, give local bike riders a vital connection from southern Alexandria to Green Square, and Green Square to the Airport.
- At intersections, bike riders on the cycleway should cross within the designated bike crossing on the green bike signal;
- Riders should watch out for cars, particularly when cars are turning left;
- Riders must always give way to pedestrians and are not allowed to ride bikes on pedestrian crossings;
- The cycleway should not be blocked or used for storage (garbage bins, skip bins, construction materials, removalists etc). Garbage bins are to be left on the footpath near the gutter. Bins will be collected from the footpath and returned to the footpath;
- People should not walk on the bicycle path unless they are crossing by the shortest route, or they are in a wheelchair or helping someone using a wheelchair; and
- Remember to look left and right before crossing a cycleway.