Wentworth Avenue proposed separated cycleway
Wentworth Avenue is an important link within the City to Green Square proposed route.
As part of that link a separated cycleway on the western side of Wentworth Avenue to connect with the College Street cycleway is being planned.
A safer pedestrian environment
- Pedestrian improvements include footpath widening, new pedestrian crossings, better kerb ramps and shorter road crossing distances.
Additional street trees
- 28 additional trees will be planted providing a total of 59 trees in the street
Local access changes
- The left turn from Elizabeth Street into Wentworth Avenue will be removed and replaced with access from Campbell Street and Castlereagh Street.
- The left turn from Wentworth Avenue into Alberta Street will be removed and replaced with access into Alberta Street from Goulbourn Street.
Safe street lighting
- Street lighting will be assessed and improved for safety if necessary. Additional light fittings and light poles may be installed.
- Parking in Wentworth Avenue currently consists of a mix of loading zones, motorbike parking and general parking. While this proposal will see some reduction in street parking, parking will still be provided on both sides of the road and to cater for the needs of local businesses the total number of loading zones will not be reduced.
Proposed Project timelines
You might have heard the big news that light rail is coming to George Street in the heart of Sydney. To make way for this exciting project, changes will be made to buses, traffic and the flow of pedestrians. We’re working with the NSW Government to come up with the best central Sydney bike routes. The Central Sydney Traffic and Transport Committee has asked Transport for NSW to select the roads we can use to complete the City Centre cycleway network by June.
So watch this space for further updates on the Wentworth Avenue proposal.