Broadway Link Streetscape Upgrade
The City of Sydney is proposing a streetscape upgrade to provide pedestrians and bike riders with a safe and connected green corridor linking Darlington to Ultimo via Chippendale.
Residents, pedestrians, and bike riders will be able to use this inner city link to bypass main roads and enjoy a safer, greener and congestion free trip.
The proposed 1.5 km upgrade includes footpath widening at intersections, tree planting to provide welcome shade, better lighting, new pram ramps, extra crossing points, speed cushions and a 40km/h speed limit.
The proposed works would take place in Shepherd Street, Myrtle, Meagher, Balfour and Jones Streets, from Wilson Street to Mary Ann Street, Darlington.
The area has high pedestrian activity. The upgrade will also support students commuting to Sydney University and the University of Technology, as well as the residential development at Central Park, the former CUB site.
Key elements of the design include:
- Improved street lighting;
- Kerb extensions at intersections to improve accessibility and safety;
- Additional plantings and street trees at kerb extensions;
- Clear signage to increase bike rider safety and a separated cycleway between Broadway and Jones Street;
- Sections of shared pedestrian and bike paths in Balfour Street Park, Central Park and Peace Park and the closure of Jones Street;
- A 40km/h speed limit (in line with most of the surrounding precinct streets); and
- New pedestrian crossing points at the intersections of Cleveland Street with Shepherd Street, Abercrombie Street and Myrtle Street.
Find out more about the proposed traffic signals and the assessment of traffic and parking implications.
Submissions close 5 May 2013.