Cycling in the City Course
The Cycling in the City course is a FREE course designed to develop the skills and confidence required to be an effective bike rider in Sydney. The course also showcases fantastic route options only regular riders know about.
Not ridden in a while? No worries! We run a Rusty Riders course tailored for those with lower confidence or fitness.
Participants aged 12-18 years must be accompanied by a legal guardian.
Important: If you are booked on a course and can no longer attend, or if you wish to change dates, please follow the instructions in your confirmation email.
Course duration: approximately 4.5 hours
Course size: maximum 10 people per course
Course instructors: 2 certified cycling instructors
Wet weather: courses will run in all but extreme weather conditions. In the event of cancellation participants will receive a text at least one hour prior to posted start time. Please read all website information before calling the mobile number provided in the enrolment confirmation email (sent to participants once they are booked in to the course).
What to bring:
1. A bike in good working order (instructors will assess your bike’s roadworthiness and may exclude you from the course if they feel your bike is unsafe)
2. A helmet
3. Water and sunscreen
- Classroom: Theory – Rights & Responsibilities; route planning; traffic & positioning theory.
- Off-street: Control Skills – checks and practice.
- On-street: Group Riding – cycling in regular traffic between drill sites establishes sensible (effective & considerate) positioning as well as showcasing the benefits of good route selection.
- On-Street: Individual Drills – discussion of typical scenarios faced by cyclists; demonstration by instructors; then execution by course participants.
Note: The course is not for beginner cyclists, but for those who would like to ride on street with traffic. Beginner cyclists may wish to seek control skills training before coming on this on-street course (see below instruction providers):
The course is run from the Sydney Park Cycling Centre located on Sydney Park Road, close to the intersection of Mitchell and Sydney Park Roads.